The other day I came across a post about Croque Monsieur . A Croque Monsieur is basically a ham and cheese sandwich with a Bechamel and melted gruyere topping. It was pretty good. If you were to top this sandwich with a fried egg it would become a Croque Madame.
- 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano (grated)
- 1/2 cup gruyere (grated)
- 1/4 cup Bechamel Sauce
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3 slices ham
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt half of the Gruyère and all of the parmigiano-reggiano into the Bechamel sauce.
- Toast bread in oven.
- Spread Dijon mustard on one slice of bread.
- Add the ham slices and about half of the remaining Gruyère cheese. Top with the other toasted bread slice.
- Spoon the Bechamel sauce onto the top of the sandwich.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Gruyère cheese.
- Place on a broiling pan and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 5 minutes. (Until the cheese topping is bubbly and lightly browned.)