The other day I came across a post about Croque Monsieur. A Croque Monsieur is basically a ham and cheese sandwich with a Bechamel and melted gruyere topping. It was pretty good. If you were to top this sandwich with a fried egg it would become a Croque Madame.
1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano (grated)
1/2 cup gruyere (grated)
1/4 cup Bechamel Sauce
2 slices bread
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
3 slices ham
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Melt half of the Gruyère and all of the parmigiano-reggiano into the Bechamel sauce.
3. Toast bread in oven.
4. Spread Dijon mustard on one slice of bread.
5. Add the ham slices and about half of the remaining Gruyère cheese. Top with the other toasted bread slice.
6. Spoon the Bechamel sauce onto the top of the sandwich.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining Gruyère cheese.
8. Place on a broiling pan and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
9. Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 5 minutes. (Until the cheese topping is bubbly and lightly browned.)
Croque Monsieur with Pear and Smoked Turkey
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Mango Chutney
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Mango and Cardamom Jam