Salsa ranchera or ranch style salsa is a simple salsa that contains tomatoes, chillies and spices. It is commonly served warm which makes it perfect for huevos rancheros because no one wants the salsa that they just pulled out of the fridge to make their eggs cold. If fresh tomatoes are in season it would be better to use them but otherwise canned works as well. Though you can add your chilies in any way that you want, my favorite way is to simply add some fresh diced jalapeno peppers.
Jalapeno Salsa Ranchera
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (toasted and ground)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (fire roasted is good)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapeno and cumin and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Puree in a food processor if desired.