While I was researching ideas for the chicken mole tacos I came across the concept of enmoladas or chicken mole enchiladas. I really liked the sound of a warm chicken mole filling wrapped in tortillas and smothered in mole sauce so I made sure to save enough of my mole sauce to make some. Since it was a busy weeknight I wanted to keep things easy so I went with unbaked enchiladas with a filling consisting of just some leftover heated shredded chicken mixed up with some mole sauce. Next up was the mole sauce topping and because the mole sauce was pretty thick I added some chicken broth to thin it down a bit so that it would pour nicely over the tortilla wrapped chicken. Just because I kept the filling simple did not mean that I wanted to sacrifice any flavour and so I made up for it by throwing lots of garnishes onto the enchiladas including sliced onion, sour cream, queso fresco and cilantro. All of the garnishes had the added benefit of making something covered in a brown sauce look a little bit better and I quite enjoyed eating them this way! I would say that these enmoladas were definitely my favourite of enjoying this batch of the mole sauce and it has been a tasty week of mole indeed!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Tip: To help prevent your corn tortillas from cracking you can warm them in a pan with a touch of oil.
Enmoladas (Chicken Mole Enchiladas)
Chicken enchiladas drenched in a spicy, thick and chocolaty mole sauce served with onions, sour cream and queso fresco.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup mole sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound shredded chicken, warm
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup queso fresco or feta, crumbled
- 1 handful cilantro
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Simmer the mole and chicken broth in a saucepan until it reaches the consistency of a thick creamy dressing and remove from heat.
- Mix the chicken and enough of the mole that it is moist and holds together.
- Place 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of a tortilla, wrap it and place it on a plate with the seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken.
- Pour the remaining mole sauce over the tortillas and serve garnished with sour cream, sliced onion, queso fresco, cilantro and sesame seeds.
Chicken Mole Tacos
Chicken Enchiladas in Salsa Verde
Egg Enchiladas in Pipian