Strawberry season is just starting here in Ontario and I got a lot of strawberries on the weekend. My grandmother used to make strawberry jam and I have had a craving for homemade strawberry jam for a while now.
I pretty much just followed the directions in the Certo (pectin crystal) package. It did not work out perfectly as the strawberries floated to the top of the jam. I think the problem was that I did not notice that I was supposed to bring it to a hard boil. A hard boil being a boil that does not stop boiling when stirred. (I learned something new.) It tastes great though! The recipe made a lot (7.5 jars), so I have a supply of strawberry jam to last a while.
- 4 + 1/2 cups strawberries (hulled and crushed)
- 1 box Certo pectin crystals
- 7 cups sugar
- Bring the strawberries and pectin crystals to a boil with high heat in a large pot.
- Add the sugar.
- Bring to a hard boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir and skim foam for 5 minutes.
- Pour into sterilized jars.