One of my favorite go-to meals is tacos and the main component of tacos is the seasoned ground beef. Although the store bought taco seasoning packets are ok it really easy to make great taco seasoned meat at home and using only ingredients that you can pronounce. This is a simple texmex seasoned ground beef that includes onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and tomato sauce. I like to toast and freshly grind dried chilies for the chili powder though you could easily use pre-ground. I also like to toast and grind the cumin which has an amazing aroma when you toast it. In addition to being used in tacos this texmex spiced ground beef can also be used in burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, etc. To change things up a bit I sometimes add corn for a bit of sweetness or beans for some creaminess.
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon oil
1 small onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 cup tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1. Brown the ground beef, drain the excess fat and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in the same pan.
3. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, chili and cumin and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
5. Add the ground meat, oregano, tomato sauce, salt and pepper and cook for 5-10 minutes.
Taco Seasoned Ground Beef
Texmex Seasoned Shredded Chicken