Local blueberries are now in season here in Ontario. I have been wanting to do french toast and I had some cream cheese on hand so I tried throwing them all together. It was pretty good. There was a really nice compliment of flavours and textures. The french toast was nice and crisp, the cheese was creamy and the blueberries were juicy. It was a good start to blueberry season.
French Toast Stuffed with Blueberries and Cream Cheese
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 handful blueberries
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- a touch cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Spread the cream cheese on both slices of bread.
- Place the blueberries in the cream cheese on one slice of bread.
- Form a sandwich with the the blueberries in the middle.
- Mix the egg, milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a shallow pan.
- Dip the sandwich into the egg mixture and cover both sides with it.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Fry both sides of the sandwich in the pan until golden brown.
- Top with the maple syrup.