Local blueberries are now in season here in Ontario. I have been wanting to do french toast and I had some cream cheese on hand so I tried throwing them all together. It was pretty good. There was a really nice compliment of flavours and textures. The french toast was nice and crisp, the cheese was creamy and the blueberries were juicy. It was a good start to blueberry season.
2 slices bread
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1 handful blueberries
1 tablespoon milk
a touch cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1. Spread the cream cheese on both slices of bread.
2. Place the blueberries in the cream cheese on one slice of bread.
3. Form a sandwich with the the blueberries in the middle.
4. Mix the egg, milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a shallow pan.
5. Dip the sandwich into the egg mixture and cover both sides with it.
6. Melt the butter in a pan.
7. Fry both sides of the sandwich in the pan until golden brown.
8. Top with the maple syrup.