The eggplants at the farmers market this weekend looked really nice so I picked up a bunch of them. The first dish that I tried with them was Melitzanes Papoutsakia or Stuffed Eggplant "Little Shoes". The aubergines are stuffed with a beef and tomato mixture and topped with bechamel sauce, a slice of tomato and some cheese. It takes about 2 hours to make so it is probably best to do on the weekend. The dish turned out pretty good. It both looked good and tasted good. Overall it was a good start to the use of the eggplants that I got.
Melitzanes Papoutsakia (Stuffed Eggplant)
- 2 eggplants
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 cup parsley (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 1 cup of bechamel sauce
- 1 cup kefalotyri cheese (grated) (or pecorino)
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and scoop out the middle leaving the shell about 1/8 inch thick.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Chop and add the eggplant that was removed from the shells.
- Add the ground beef and cook until it is browned.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Spread some of the cheese over the bottom of the eggplant shell. Fill the shell with the stuffing. Cover with the bechamel sauce. Place a slice of tomato on top. Cover with the remaining cheese.
- Cook in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the bechamel sauce and the cheese are browned, about 60-90 minutes.