The eggplants at the farmers market this weekend looked really nice so I picked up a bunch of them. The first dish that I tried with them was Melitzanes Papoutsakia or Stuffed Eggplant "Little Shoes". The aubergines are stuffed with a beef and tomato mixture and topped with bechamel sauce, a slice of tomato and some cheese. It takes about 2 hours to make so it is probably best to do on the weekend. The dish turned out pretty good. It both looked good and tasted good. Overall it was a good start to the use of the eggplants that I got.
1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1/2 pound ground beef
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1/2 cup parsley (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tomato (sliced)
1 cup of bechamel sauce
1 cup kefalotyri cheese (grated) (or pecorino)
1. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and scoop out the middle leaving the shell about 1/8 inch thick.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Add the onions and saute until translucent.
4. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
5. Chop and add the eggplant that was removed from the shells.
6. Add the ground beef and cook until it is browned.
7. Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
8. Spread some of the cheese over the bottom of the eggplant shell. Fill the shell with the stuffing. Cover with the bechamel sauce. Place a slice of tomato on top. Cover with the remaining cheese.
9. Cook in a preheated 350F oven until the bechamel sauce and the cheese are browned, about 60-90 minutes.
Eggplant and Mozzarella Panini
Eggplant Wrapped Kebabs Baked in Tomato Sauce
Gemista (Greek Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers)