The breakfast grilled cheese sandwich with maple syrup reminded me of the monte cristo and that was the perfect excuse to make some monte cristo sandwiches and update the photos on this recipe! A monte cristo sandwich is essentially a ham and cheese sandwich that is cooked french toast style where it is dipped in an egg based batter and then fried until golden brown. This sandwich is commonly served with maple syrup or with powdered sugar and jam for dipping and it truely is a great example of sweet and savoury working well together. Breakfast is the perfect time to enjoy a monte cristo but they also go well for lunch or even dinner. You can easily keep things interesting by changing up the cheese, meat and jam so you will never get tired of monte cristo's.
A grilled ham and cheese sandwich cooked French toast style covered in an eggy batter, friend until golden brown and served with maple syrup or jam.
Servings: makes 2 sandwiches
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 4 slices bread
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 3 slices honey ham
- 2 teaspoons mustard (optional)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- maple syrup or powdered sugar and jam
- Place two slices of bread down, top with half the cheese followed by the ham, mustard and the remaining half of the cheese and finally the remaining slices of bread.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and melt a bit of butter in it.
- Meanwhile, mix the eggs, milk and vanilla and dip the sandwiches into the mixture to coat both sides.
- Place the sandwiches into the heated pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Serve topped with maple syrup or with powdered sugar and jam.
Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Maple Syrup
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Mango Chutney
Ham, Egg and Gruyere Crepes with Maple Syrup
Monte Cristo Quesadillas
Ham and Egg Breakfast Quesadillas