I have really been enjoying the courgettes or zucchini so far this year. I was wondering how I could in corporate them into a pasta dish. I was looking in my fridge trying to find some inspiration when I saw some left over bacon. What could be better than a simple zucchini and bacon carbonara sauce? This dish was really amazing. I think the trick was to use the bacon fat to fry the zucchini rather than using oil. I will definitely be adding this recipe to my list of favorites.
- 4 ounces penne (gluten free for gluten free)
- 4 slices bacon (sliced)
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- Start cooking the penne.
- Fry the bacon in a pan.
- Cut the zucchini into penne shaped pieces.
- Drain most of the fat from the pan but reserve some to cook the zucchini.
- Add the zucchini, garlic and pepper and toss to coat in the bacon fat.
- Mix the egg and parmigiano reggiano in a bowl.
- Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
- Add the pasta to the pan and toss.
- Remove the pan from the heat and wait for the sizzling to stop.
- Add the egg mixture and toss to coat.
- Add a bit of the pasta water and toss to mix and coat.