Once, long ago, I had a black sesame ice cream at a Japanese restaurant. I really liked it but I could never find it at a grocery store. After getting an ice cream maker it was bound to be one of the first ice creams that I tried to make. I was however, unable to find a recipe for it... I decided to take the basic vanilla ice cream recipe from the instruction book that came with the ice cream maker and modify it to suite. It turned out pretty good. I really like the flavour of black sesame and it goes well as a dessert.
Given that the instruction manual that came with the ice cream maker only has about a dozen recipes in it, I will have to look for a book of ice cream recipes.
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
3/4 cups sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoon black sesame seeds
1. Lightly toast the sesame seeds in a non-stick pan.
2. Grind the sesame seeds in a mortar and pestle (or coffee grinder, etc.).
3. Heat the cream, milk, sugar and sesame seeds in a sauce pan until it almost boils, about 5 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to low.
5. Add one tablespoon of the cream mixture to the egg to temper it.
6. Add the egg to the sauce pan.
7. Cook at low heat until it is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
8. Chill the mixture in the fridge.
9. Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.
Use the leftover egg whites in:
Molten Chocolate Cake
Green Tea and White Chocolate Opera Cake
Green Tea Macarons
Dorie's Perfect Party Cake