Continuing on the blueberry theme, I did a blueberry jam next. The blueberries were much easier to prepare for jam than the strawberries or cherries. I just needed to rinse them, pick out any bad ones and remove a few stems. I used a mixture of cultivated and wild blueberries. The blueberry jam set really well. With only a few hours to set it was solid enough to be a bit difficult to spread on lightly toasted bread. The next time I make jam I am going to have to try making it without the use of pectin to see how it goes.
- 5 cups blueberries (halved and crushed)
- 1 cup water
- 1 box Certo pectin crystals
- 2 & 1/2 cups sugar
- Bring the blueberries, water, pectin and 1 cup of sugar to a boil with high heat in a large pot.
- Add the rest of the sugar.
- Bring to a hard boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir and skim foam for 5 minutes.
- Pour into sterilized jars.