Wow, tomato based pasta dishes three nights in a row! I am really enjoying the fresh local vine ripened roma tomatoes. Normally when I make a tomato sauce I use tinned tomatoes but I have been meaning to try making it with fresh tomatoes for a while. I chose to do a fairly simple sauce to so that the tomatoes were the focus of the sauce. The tomato sauce turned out pretty good. It was light, tasty and summery fresh. It is definitely worth using fresh tomatoes while they are in season.
Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon basil (chopped)
- 1 serving pasta (cooked) (gluten free for gluten free)
- Cut a shallow X on the bottom of the tomatoes.
- Place the tomatoes in boiling water for about 30 seconds and remove.
- Let the tomatoes cool and then remove the skin.
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan.
- Saute the onions until they are translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper and simmer for a few minutes.
- Mix in the basil and remove from heat.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce.