I got some more egg plants at the farmers market on the weekend. I have been wanting to try a moussaka for a while now and I took this opportunity to make it. Moussaka is dish that typically has three layers; a layer of vegetables (commonly eggplant or aubergines), a layer of meat sauce and a layer of white sauce. This was my first time eating and making moussaka. It turned out pretty good. It was pretty easy to make (even if it took a while), and it was tasty. I really liked the way that the cinnamon in the meat sauce and the nutmeg in the bechamel sauce added a really amazing spiced aroma to this savory dish. I will definitely be making this dish again.
1 pound ground beef
1 onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 can of pureed tomatoes
1/2 cup white wine
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1 eggplant (sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices)
2 cups bechamel sauce
1/2 cup pecorino (grated)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1. Brown the ground beef in a pan.
2. Remove the ground beef from the pan reserving a bit of the grease in the pan.
4. Add the the onions and saute until translucent.
5. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
6. Add the ground beef, tomatoes, wine, basil, oregano, cinnamon, bay leaf, salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Broil the eggplant until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
8. Place the eggplant on the bottom of a baking pan.
9. Pour the meat sauce onto the egg plant.
10. Melt the most of the cheese in the bechamel sauce.
11. Pour the bechamel sauce onto the meat sauce.
12. Top with the bread crumbs and the remaining cheese.
13. Bake in a 350F oven for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Eggplant Wrapped Kebabs Baked in Tomato Sauce
Gemista (Greek Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers)
Moussaka Patty Melt