I have really been enjoying the eggplants this year. I just had to try and eggplant miso soup. I ended up doing an oven roasted eggplant and mushroom miso soup. Simple oven roasted eggplant is really good. The oven roasted mushrooms added a really nice flavour to the broth. I think that this oven roasted eggplant and mushroom miso soup is my new favorite miso soup!
1 slice eggplant (1/2 inch thick)
4 cremini mushrooms (quartered)
1 cup dashi
1 tablespoon miso
1 green onion (chopped)
1. Broil the eggplant and mushrooms in the oven for about 10 minutes.
2. Cut the eggplant into bite sized pieces.
3. Bring the dashi, eggplant and mushrooms to a boil in a small sauce pan.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Dissolve the miso with some of the heated dashi in a separate bowl. (We do not want to boil the miso as it will not taste as good.)
6. Add the miso back to the soup.
7. Pour the soup into a bowl and top with green onion.