For my second dish with the fresh local vine ripened roma tomatoes I could not resist making one of my favorite pasta sauces, an oven roasted tomato sauce. This pasta is easy to make and super tasty. Instead of cooking the sauce in a pan on the stove you roast the sauce in the oven. It is really easy; you just chop everything up and roast it in the oven for a while. Roasting the tomatoes in the oven concentrates their flavour. An added benefit of roasting the sauce is that it fills your place with an amazing aroma. I just did a basic tomato sauce as I wanted the tomatoes to be the stars of the show but you could easily add eggplant, or zucchini, etc. If you prefer a chunky sauce you could just mash the tomatoes with a fork instead of chopping it in a food processor.
Roasted Tomato Pasta
- 2 roma tomatoes (sliced in half)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 2 pieces bacon (optional, cut, or pancetta, etc.)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon basil (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- 2 ounces pasta (cooked) (gluten free for gluten free)
- Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano, basil, bacon, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to coat.
- Place the mixture in a baking dish and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven for about 45 minutes minutes.
- Place the mixture in a food processor.
- Add the fresh herbs.
- Use the food processor to chop the sauce to the consistency that you desire.
- Toss with the pasta and serve.