For my second dish with the fresh local vine ripened roma tomatoes I could not resist making one of my favorite pasta sauces, an oven roasted tomato sauce. This pasta is easy to make and super tasty. Instead of cooking the sauce in a pan on the stove you roast the sauce in the oven. It is really easy; you just chop everything up and roast it in the oven for a while. Roasting the tomatoes in the oven concentrates their flavour. An added benefit of roasting the sauce is that it fills your place with an amazing aroma. I just did a basic tomato sauce as I wanted the tomatoes to be the stars of the show but you could easily add eggplant, or zucchini, etc. If you prefer a chunky sauce you could just mash the tomatoes with a fork instead of chopping it in a food processor.
2 roma tomatoes (sliced in half)
1 small onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
2 pieces bacon (optional, cut, or pancetta, etc.)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon basil (chopped)
1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
1 serving pasta (cooked)
1. Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano, basil, bacon, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to coat.
2. Place the mixture in a baking dish and bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 45 minutes minutes.
3. Place the mixture in a food processor.
4. Add the fresh herbs.
5. Use the food processor to chop the sauce to the consistency that you desire.
6. Toss with the pasta and serve.
Roasted Tomato Soup
Roasted Tomato and Blue Cheese Sauce
Roasted Eggplant Pasta
Take a look at the Presto Pasta Nights roundup at Once Upon a Feast.