On the weekend they still had local vine ripened roma tomatoes at the farmers market. I wanted to work the tomatoes into a miso soup for my workday breakfasts . After searching the web I ended up with a simple and yet tasty soup. The tomato miso soup was a bit sour (as cooked tomatoes can be) but it really showed off the fresh tomato flavour.
Now I just need to figure out how to work corn into my miso soup for next week...
Tomato and Shiitake Miso Soup
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup dashi
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 2 shiitake (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- Heat the oil in a small sauce pan.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the dashi, tomato paste, tomato and shiitake and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Dissolve the miso with some of the heated dashi in a separate bowl. (We do not want to boil the miso as it will not taste as good.)
- Add the miso back to the soup.
- Pour the soup into a bowl and top with the green onion.