On the weekend they still had local vine ripened roma tomatoes at the farmers market. I wanted to work the tomatoes into a miso soup for my workday breakfasts. After searching the web I ended up with a simple and yet tasty soup. The tomato miso soup was a bit sour (as cooked tomatoes can be) but it really showed off the fresh tomato flavour.
Now I just need to figure out how to work corn into my miso soup for next week...
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 cup dashi
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 tomato (sliced)
2 shiitake (sliced)
1 tablespoon miso
1 green onion (chopped)
1. Heat the oil in a small sauce pan.
2. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
3. Add the dashi, tomato paste, tomato and shiitake and bring to a boil.
4. Simmer for a few minutes.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Dissolve the miso with some of the heated dashi in a separate bowl. (We do not want to boil the miso as it will not taste as good.)
7. Add the miso back to the soup.
8. Pour the soup into a bowl and top with the green onion.
More soup recipes!