One of my favorite sandwiches is a Croque Monsieur (a fancy ham and cheese sandwich). Recently I have been craving a croque monsieur sandwich and I remembered seeing Tyler make a grilled cheese sandwich with apple slices on Tylers Ultimate. I had been enjoying the local pears which are in season and I though that crouque monsieur sandwich with smoked turkey and pear would make a tasty sandwich. The sandwich was pretty good though the pear flavour was a little subtle. The next time I make this I might double up on the layers of pear or even caramelize the pear slices in some butter and sugar first.
1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano (grated)
1/2 cup gruyere (grated)
1/4 cup Bechamel Sauce
2 slices bread
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
3 slices smoked turkey
3 slices pear
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Melt half of the Gruyère and all of the parmigiano-reggiano into the Bechamel sauce.
3. Toast the bread.
4. Spread the mustard on one slice of bread.
5. Place the turkey slices, the pear slices and about half of the remaining Gruyère cheese. Top with the other toasted bread slice.
6. Spoon the Bechamel sauce onto the top of the sandwich.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining Gruyère cheese.
8. Place on a broiling pan and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
9. Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 5 minutes. (Until the cheese topping is bubbly and lightly browned.)
Take a look at Show Us Your Sarnie at A Year From Oak Cottage.