If you are like me and you like to make your own pumpkin puree then you probably go through a lot of pumpkin seeds. It is such a shame to just throw all of them away when it is so easy to make toasted pumpkin seeds. After separating the seeds from the stringy bits, you rinse the seeds and toss them in some oil and seasonings. The seasoning can be as simple as salt and pepper but you can do pretty much whatever you imagine. I like to add some spicy heat to my pumpkin seeds and smoky chipotle chili powder is a wonderful way to do so. After seasoning you just need to bake them in the oven until they are nice and crunchy. The toasted pumpkin seeds make for a great snack or they can be used to garnish soups and other dishes.
Chipotle Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- the seeds from one pumpkin (cleaned and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder (optional, or other seasoning)
- Toss the pumpkin seeds in oil and chipotle chili powder.
- Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until golden brown, about 10-20 minutes. They may start to pop and that is ok.