It seems that I have made a few soups recently and I suppose with the colder weather it fits. I have been seeing local cauliflower at the farmers market for a while now and I kept meaning to pick some up but I could not think of anything to do with it. I recently remembered that my mom used to make a really nice cauliflower and cheddar cheese soup and I though that would be a good start to using cauliflower. The cauliflower soup that my mom made was always really orange and I tend to think of it more as a cheese soup. I wanted this soup to make me think more of the cauliflower than the cheese so I went with a white cheddar cheese so that the soup would keep the white colour of the cauliflower. Since I started blogging I have been using more and more herbs. It has gotten to the point where I sometimes find myself thinking that a dish is not complete without an herb. Dill is one of my favorite herbs and I really like the combination of cheddar cheese and dill so I decided to add some dill to the soup. The soup was pretty good! The soup was nice and cheesy and dilly. I left the soup a bit thicker than most soups so that I would get more of the texture of the cauliflower. Note: Use a really sharp cheese so that you do not have to use a lot of it. Add the Cheddar cheese a bit at a time until you get it to where you want it.
Cauliflower and White Cheddar Soup with Dill
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 small potato (cubed)
- 1 head cauliflower (separated into florets)
- 4 ounces white cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons dill (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock, milk, potato and cauliflower and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Add the cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the dill and stir.