Continuing with the kabocha theme this week I had kabocha miso soup for breakfast each morning. The kabocha was simmered in the dashi until tender. It was pretty good and I tried it in a number of ways. I tried swapping the spinach out for wakame. I also tried adding a spoonful of kabocha pumpkin puree to the soup to add some oven roasted flavour.
1 cup dashi
1 slice kabocha (1/2 inch thick, cut into bite sized pieces)
1 handful spinach
1 tablespoon miso
1 green onion (chopped)
1. Bring the dashi and kabocha to a boil in a small sauce pan.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer until the kabocha is tender.
3. Remove from heat and add the spinach.
4. Dissolve the miso with some of the heated dashi in a separate bowl. (We do not want to boil the miso as it will not taste as good.)
5. Add the miso back to the soup.
6. Pour the soup into a bowl and top with green onion.
Kale, Butternut Squash and Mushroom Miso Soup
More soup recipes!