I had some pumpkin puree that needed to be used and I was in the mood for some texmex flavours. A while ago I made some Sweet Potatoes and Black Bean Enchiladas that I enjoyed and I thought that pumpkin would do really well in a similar dish. I decided to go with burritos rather than enchiladas this time. With the pumpkin puree already made the dish was pretty quick to make. The natural sweetness of the pumpkin went really well with the texmex spiciness. I topped the burritos with salsa, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin (ground)
1 can beans (black or kidney, drained and rinsed)
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (chopped)
2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
4. Add the chili powder, and cumin and saute for about a minute.
5. Add the beans, water, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until most water has evaporated.
6. Remove the beans from the heat and mash half of them with a fork.
7. Mix the pumpkin puree, chipotle peppers and cilantro and warm in the microwave.
8. Place some of the pumpkin mixture and some of the bean mixture and into a tortilla and wrap it.
9. Top with salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream etc.
Pumpkin and Black Bean Quesadillas
Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup
Squash Chili Mole
Chipotle Butternut Squash and Black Bean Burrito Bowl
Spicy Pork Bulgogi and Beans Burrito
Butter Chicken Burritos
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos with Swiss Chard Pesto
Pumpkin Chorizo and Black Bean Soup