One of my favourite ways to enjoy pumpkin has to be in this tasty Thai pumpkin soup that literally comes together in less than 15 minutes! I first posted this recipe a few years ago so the photo was a bit dated and with all of the fresh pumpkins around it was the perfect opportunity to update the photos along with the recipe! This recipe really only has the four main ingredients, the red curry paste, broth, coconut milk and pumpkin puree along with some seasonings including fish sauce, sugar and lime juice. These seasonings are there to create a perfect balance of salty, sweet and sour along with the spicy aspect from the curry paste itself! Canned pumpkin puree is really convenient for this soup (and it allows you to make it year round) but you can also use homemade pumpkin puree or even raw pumpkin where you would simply add diced pumpkin to the broth and coconut milk and simmer until tender, about 15-20 minutes. This soup works both as a starter or side and as a meal and you can easily add things like chicken, noodles, tofu, veggies, etc. The next time you are thinking about making soup, don't reach for the canned stuff, this soup only takes a few minutes more and it is so much better!
Try adding peanut butter! It takes this Thai pumpkin soup to whole new levels of tasty goodness!
Thai Pumpkin Soup
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes Servings: 4
A tasty Thai inspired pumpkin and coconut soup that that takes less than 15 minutes to make!
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin puree or 4 cups homemade pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (~1 lime)
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, add the curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, coconut milk, pumpkin puree, fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
Note: If you want to start with raw pumpkin, get two small 3 pound pumpkins, peel them, seed them, cut them into 1 inch cubes, add to the coconut milk and broth and simmer, covered, until tender, about 15-20 minutes, before pureeing.
Option: Use another sweet winter squash like butternut squash or kabocha instead of pumpkin.
Option: Add 1/4 cup peanut butter! Try it, you'll love it!