I was looking for a quick meal for a busy weekend and I remembered seeing this post on Shrimp a la Diabla. How could I resist shrimp in a spicy sauce? This dish is pretty much just shrimp cooked in a hot and spicy tomato based sauce. You can add the heat however you like. I used some fresh ground chili peppers, but you could also use chopped chipotles in adobo or some kind of chili sauce, etc. Serve with rice and or refried beans etc. I was in such a hurry that I forgot to add the cilantro.
1 teaspoon oil
1 onions (chopped)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 cup tomato sauce
juice of 1/2 a lime
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar (optional, to balance out the heat of the chili and the sourness of the lime juice)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 pound shrimp
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and chili powder and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
4. Add the tomato sauce, lime juice, salt and pepper and mix.
5. Add the shrimp and cook for a few minutes on each side.
6. Add the cilantro and remove from the heat.
Tequila Lime Shrimp
Orange Chipotle Shrimp
Singapore Chili Prawns
Garides Saganaki (Shrimp Saganaki)