I still had a cup of pumpkin puree left and I remembered seeing this post based on this recipe for a pumpkin pasta which sounded pretty interesting. The sauce was a pumpkin and sage sauce with some of the spices that are commonly combined with pumpkin and chili sauce for some heat. I have been using and really enjoying sage a lot lately and I was interested in seeing how it combined the pumpkin. I added the sage leaves to the pan a bit earlier so that they could fry up a bit in the oil. As I often do I added a teaspoon of the chili sauce and tested the sauce to see how it was. I ended up adding an extra teaspoon of chili sauce to bring it up to the level of spiciness that I was happy with. The pasta turned out pretty good. The pumpkin sauce had a nice blend of spices, spiciness, creaminess and sage.
That was the last of my pumpkins. I think I went through about 6 pumpkins this year and I really enjoyed them. I used them in a wide variety of dishes from sweet to savoury. The pumpkin has proven itself to be very versatile. There are still a bunch of pumpkin recipes in my bookmarks to try the next time I get some more pumpkins.
2 servings penne pasta
1 teaspoon oil
1 shallot (chopped)
3 sage leave (thinly sliced)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon chili sauce
nutmeg to taste
cinnamon to taste
salt and black pepper to taste
parmigiano reggiano (grated)
1. Cook the penne as directed.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Add the shallots and sage and saute until the shallots are tender, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
5. Add the chicken stock, pumpkin puree, heavy cream, chili sauce, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper and simmer for 5-6 minutes to thicken.
6. Add the cooked pasta and toss to coat.
7. Plate the pasta and garnish with parmigiano reggiano and sage leaves.
Butternut Squash, Italian Sausage and Sage Pasta
Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Ravioli in Sage and Butter Sauce
Roasted Pumpkin, Pancetta and Sage Soup
Take a look at Kalyn's Kitchen at Paulchen's Food Blog.
Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna