The other day I came across a post about Croque Monsieur. A Croque Monsieur is basically a ham and cheese sandwich with a Bechamel and melted gruyere topping. It was pretty good. If you were to top this sandwich with a fried egg it would become a Croque Madame.
1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano (grated)
1/2 cup gruyere (grated)
1/4 cup Bechamel Sauce
2 slices bread
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
3 slices ham
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Melt half of the Gruyère and all of the parmigiano-reggiano into the Bechamel sauce.
3. Toast bread in oven.
4. Spread Dijon mustard on one slice of bread.
5. Add the ham slices and about half of the remaining Gruyère cheese. Top with the other toasted bread slice.
6. Spoon the Bechamel sauce onto the top of the sandwich.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining Gruyère cheese.
8. Place on a broiling pan and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
9. Turn on the broiler and broil for an additional 5 minutes. (Until the cheese topping is bubbly and lightly browned.)
Croque Monsieur with Pear and Smoked Turkey
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Mango Chutney
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Mango and Cardamom Jam
The other day while I was surfing food blogs I had the food network on in the background and they had a really nice sounding Mushroom Lasagna on that I had to try.
1 package lasagne noodles
2 tablespoons butter
4 cups sliced mushrooms (portabello, shiitake, etc)
2 servings Bechamel Sauce
2 cups parmigiano-reggiano (grated)
1. Cook the noodles as directed on the package. (Add a splash of oil to the water to prevent sticking.)
2. Saute the mushrooms in the butter.
3. Preheat the over to 375 degrees F.
4. Spread some of the bechamel sauce on the bottom of an 8 inch by 8 inch baking dish. Place a layer of noodles on top, then more sauce, then a third of the mushrooms, and 1/4 cup of the grated parmigiano-reggiano. Repeat 2 more times. Top the final layer of noodles and sauce, and the remaining parmigiano-reggiano.
5. Bake the lasagna for about 45 minutes. The top should be a bit browned the sauce should be bubbling.
6. Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 or so minutes and serve hot.
Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna
Mushroom and Kale Lasagna Roll Ups in Creamy Gorgonzola Cauliflower Sauce
Bechamel sauce is the basic French white sauce and it is simple to make.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour*
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
salt and pepper to taste (optional)
1. Heat the butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat until melted.
2. Add the flour and stir until smooth.
3. Add the milk and stir until smooth.
4. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper.
5. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
For a thin sauce use 1 tablespoon of flour and butter.
For a thick sauce use 3 tablespoons of flour and butter.