The idea of corn bread has always fascinated me though the one time that I tried to make it, it did not turn out too well. It was a bit dry and the flavour was not too impressive. When I came across this recipe I knew that I would have to try making corn bread again. The recipe includes some sugar and honey for sweetness and corn kernels for both texture and enhanced corn flavour. If that wasn't enough some bacon is thrown on top for good measure. I made the corn bread on the weekend to go with the turkey white chili. The cornbread turned out really well. It was moist and flavorful with just the right amount of sweetness. The slightly sweet cornbread went really well with the heat of the chili. I will definitely be making this again many times in the future!
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
2 slices bacon
3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon unsalted butter (melted)
1 1/4 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1. Mix the cornmeal and buttermilk and let sit at room temperature over night.
2. Cook the bacon until crispy and set aside to cool.
3. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and brown sugar in a bowl.
4. Mix the egg, honey, butter and cornmeal mixture in another bowl.
5. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together to form a batter.
6. Mix in the corn.
7. Rub some butter on the bottom and along the sides of a 9x5 inch loaf pan. (You could also use some of the bacon grease.)
8. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and top with the crumbled bacon.
9. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown on top and when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
Cranberry Corn Bread
Cottage Cheese Cornbread