Lemons are pretty versatile. Despite the fact that they are tart they go really well in sweet dishes. Lemons can also be used in savoury dishes though I have not had all that many. When I came across the concept of an Asian style lemon chicken dish I had to try it. Most of the recipes that I found for lemon chicken called for coating the chicken in corn starch or flour and frying it in oil. Since the chicken would then be placed in a lemon sauce and become soggy I was not too sure why it was deep fried in the first place. I decided to come up with a way of making lemon chicken without frying the chicken. In the end I decided to marinate the chicken in a lemon marinade and then saute the chicken and reduce the the marinade into a sauce. Although the dish did not turn out to be too photogenic the lemon chicken was really tasty. It had a really nice lemon flavour and it was tart but not too tart. The cilantro and green onion along with the lemon flavour made the dish taste really fresh. I think that the next time I make this I will add more chili heat to it. I will also have to try making the version with the breaded and fried chicken to compare.
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 small chili (chopped, or 1 teaspoon chili sauce)
- 1 pound chicken (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons ginger (minced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 3 green onions (chopped)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (toasted)
- Mix the lemon zest, juice, chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, honey, and chili in a bowl. Do a taste test here to balance out the tartness, saltiness, sweetness and heat.
- Place the chicken into mixture and marinate for 10-20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the ginger and garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the chicken reserving the marinade.
- Saute the chicken until cooked, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the reserved marinade and simmer until the sauce has reduced and thickened, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the green onion, cilantro and sesame seeds and remove from the heat.
- Serve on rice or noodles.