I had been wanting to make minestrone soup for a while when I came across this version which looked really good. This minestrone soup included sausage, squash and a ton of fresh herbs. I knew that I would use spicy Italian sausage and I though that the sweet butternut squash would go nicely with the sausage. The minestrone soup turned out really good! It was full of flavour and super tasty. The spicy Italian sausage and the red pepper flakes gave the soup a nice heat. I enjoyed the ministrone soup with this cheesy garlic toast.
Minestrone Soup with Sausage and Squash
- 1 pound Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 8 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 28 ounce can diced plum tomatoes
- 2 19 ounce can cannelloni beads (rinsed and drained)
- 1 pound butternut squash (peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
- 6 sage leaves (chopped)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 parmigiano reggiano rind (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound small rigatoni
- 1 handful parsley (chopped)
- Brown the Italian sausage in a large stock pot and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the same pan.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the carrots and celery and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, cannelloni beans, squash, rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, parmigiano reggiano rind. salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook the rigatoni while the soup is simmering.
- Add the rigatoni and parsley and turn off the heat.