A couple of weeks ago I tried crab for the first time and I really enjoyed it. On the weekend I picked up some more frozen cooked king crab that was still in the shell. I wanted to have the crab in a dish that would not over power the crab flavour and texture. I decided to go with a crab quesadilla where the crab is marinated in a simple and yet tasty marinade. The fresh lime, jalapeno pepper, green onion and cilantro makes this dish fresh and tasty. Since the crab is just warmed and cut into bite sized pieces you get to bite into the crab and really taste it. It was quite enjoyable! The warm crispy tortilla and the melted cheese put it over the top. You can serve the crab quesadillas with salsa, sour cream, avacado, etc.
1/4 pound crab meat (thawed)
1 lime (juice and zest)
1 jalapeno (chopped)
1 green onion (chopped)
1 handful cilantro (chopped)
1 teaspoon cumin (toasted and ground)
salt and pepper to taste
2 flour tortillas
a touch of butter (or oil)
2 handfuls cheese such as cheddar or jack, etc. (grated)
1. Cook the crab in boiling water for about 3 minutes.
2. Rinse the crab in cold water to stop the cooking.
3. Remove the shell from the crab meat and cut it into bite sized pieces.
4. Mix the lime juice, zest, jalapeno, green onion, cilantro cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl.
5. Add the crab and marinate for 10-30 minutes.
6. Melt the butter (or oil) in a pan.
7. Place a tortilla in the pan and rub it around in the butter to coat.
8. Heat the tortilla until air pockets form in it flipping a few times.
9. Repeat 5-7 for the second tortilla and leave it in the pan.
10. Drain the liquid from the crab and place the mixture on the tortilla in the pan.
11. Place the cheese on and then top with the other tortilla.
12. Cook the quesadilla until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted flipping once.
Tip: Place a plate onto the quesadilla and flipped it from the pan to the plate and then slide it back into the pan to flip the quesadilla.
Maryland Crab Cakes
Crab Summer Rolls with Cashew Butter Dipping Sauce
Fried Green Tomatoes with Crab Remoulade
Crab Mac and Cheese
Take a look at the Weekend Herb Blogging roundup at Swirling Notions.