I was looking in my fridge trying to figure out what to make for dinner when I realized that I had everything that I needed for pasta alla carbonara. The base carbonara sauce is made with egg yolks, parmigiano reggiano, pancetta (or another form of bacon) and black pepper. It can also include things like cream, shallots, garlic, herbs, mushrooms, meats, vegetables, etc. The thing that is interesting about the carbonara sauce is that the egg yolk is added to the sauce raw and it is cooked by the heat of the pasta that just came out of the boiling water. The heat of the pasta also melts the parmigiano reggiano into the sauce. Carbonara is super quick and easy to make. You can easily make the sauce in the time that it takes to cook the pasta. The carbonara sauce is nice and creamy and tasty. You really can't go wrong with eggs, cream, cheese and bacon!
1 serving penne
1 ounce pancetta (diced)
1 clove garlic (chopped, optional)
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano
1 tablespoon parsley (chopped, optional)
pepper to taste
1. Start cooking the penne in well salted water.
2. Fry the pancetta in a pan until just crispy.
3. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant and remove from heat the heat.
4. Mix the egg yolk, heavy cream and parmigiano reggiano in a bowl.
5. Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
6. Add the pasta to the bowl and toss.
7. If the sauce is too thick add a bit of the reserved pasta water to thin.
8. Add the pancetta, parsley and pepper and toss.
Butternut Squash Carbonara
Bolognese Spaghetti alla Carbonara
Spaghetti alla Carbonara with Peas
Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Carbonara
Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Carbonara