I recently got some vanilla beans and I have been itching to use them. I though that I would try using them in one of my favorite desserts, a cheesecake. For the vanilla bean cheesecake I just added the seeds from a vanilla bean to a basic cheesecake recipe. In the past I have used graham cracker crusts and pecan crusts and this time I thought I would try a walnut crust. I also had some raspberries so I added a garnish of a simple raspberry sauce. The vanilla bean cheesecake with walnut crust was really good! It smelled amazing while it was baking. Vanilla is one of my favorite flavours and I really enjoyed the strength of the vanilla flavour provided by the vanilla bean seeds. The walnut crust was really good as well. How can you go wrong adding butter and sugar to walnuts? I am looking forward to more adventures with vanilla beans.
Vanilla Bean Cheesecake(makes 2 servings)
1/2 cup walnuts
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter (melted)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (room temperature)
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
1 vanilla bean (split lengthwise and scraped)
1 egg (room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Pulse the walnuts, sugar and butter in a food processor.
2. Press the mixture into the bottom of two 4 inch spring form pans.
3. Bake the walnut crust in a 350F preheated oven until golden brown on the edges, about 8-12 minutes.
4. Mix the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla bean seeds.
5. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
6. Pour the mixture into the spring form pans.
7. Bake in a preheated 325F oven until it is set, about 45-60 minutes.
Note: This recipe makes enough for 2 4 inch spring form pans. Triple the recipe for an 8 inch spring form pan and quadruple the recipe for a 10 inch spring form pan.
1/2 cup raspberries (mashed)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1. Mix the raspberries, sugar, cornstarch and water in a small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil and simmer until the sauce thickens.
White Chocolate Cheesecake
Maple Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake
No Bake Cheesecake
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Raspberry and Nutella Crepes