Kale is a vegetable that I have been wanting to try using for a while. I have seen a few kale dishes around and some of them combined kale with white beans. I thought that the kale would go nicely in an Italian style white bean soup. I knew that I wanted to include Italian style turkey sausage for some meat and flavour but for the rest of the ingredients I played it by ear. I wanted a bit of a rustic feel to the soup so I cut everything roughly leaving fairly large pieces. The white bean and kale soup with turkey sausage turned out well and it was really tasty. I think that I should have cut the kale into slightly smaller pieces but this way I got to experience more of the kale. The kale worked well in the soup. Even though it wilted it did not fall apart or turn mushy. I look forward to experimenting with kale again. I served the white bean and kale soup with some toasted cheesy garlic bread .
White Bean and Kale Soup with Turkey Sausage
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage (casing removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can white beans
- 1 bunch kale (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 parmigiano reggiano rind (optional)
- * chicken stock
- 1 handful parsley (chopped, optional)
- * parmigiano reggiano (grated, optional)
- Brown the sausage in a large pan and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the same pan.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the sausage, celery, carrots, tomatoes, white beans, kale, oregano, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, parmigiano reggiano rind.
- Add enough chicken stock to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30-60 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and parmigiano reggiano rind.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley and grated parmigiano reggiano.