I was looking for some Greek side dishes to go with my lamb souvlaki when I came across the concept of spanakorizo or Greek spinach rice. At its base it is just what it sounds like, spinach and rice along with some Greek seasonings. Lemon, dill and feta are some of my favorite flavours and since I already had them out for other parts of the meal they went into the spinach rice as well. Though this rice dish is pretty simple to make already, if you are in a pinch for time or oven space you can cook it in a rice cooker. The light and fluffy rice with lemon, dill and feta was really tasty and went well with the rest of the meal! I have a feeling that I will be making this a lot.
Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 bunch spinach (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup long grained rice (I used brown rice)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup dill (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1/4 cup feta (crumbled, optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the and spinach and cook until the spinach wilts.
- Add the rice, chicken stock, parsley, dill and season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes (50 minutes for brown rice).
- Hit with a splash lemon juice and garnish with feta.