Carbonara is one of my favorite pasta dishes and I had been craving it. A carbonara pasta is normally made from an egg yolk, pecorino romano, bacon and pepper. Asparagus is in season and I was thinking that it was similar in shape to penne pasta and that and asparagus penne carbonara would be really nice. Carbonara is really easy to make and it comes together in less time that it takes to cook the pasta. The asparagus carbonara was really good! It was a nice spring twist on a classic!
1 serving penne
4 slices bacon (chopped)
1 handful asparagus
1 clove garlic (chopped)
pepper to taste
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/4 cup pecorino romano
1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
1. Start cooking the penne.
2. Fry the bacon in a pan.
3. Cut the asparagus into penne shaped pieces.
4. Drain most of the fat from the pan but reserve some to cook the asparagus.
5. Add the asparagus, garlic and pepper and toss to coat in the bacon grease.
6. Mix the egg yolk, heavy cream and pecorino romano in a bowl.
7. Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
8. Add the pasta to the pan and toss.
9. Remove the pan from the heat and wait for the sizzling to stop.
10. Add the egg mixture and toss to coat.
11. Add a bit of the pasta water and toss to mix and coat.
Pasta alla Carbonara
Bolognese Spaghetti alla Carbonara
Asparagus and Cashew Chicken Stir-fry
Fiddlehead Shrimp Scampi
Asparagus and Ramp Pesto Pasta
Spaghetti alla Carbonara with Peas
Asparagus and Double Smoked Bacon Popover
Roasted Brussels Sprout Carbonara
Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Carbonara
Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Carbonara