I came across this recipe for a rhubarb crumb cake a while ago. Rhubarb is something that I had been wanting to use more and a cake sounded like a great way to do it. I bookmarked the recipe to save for when rhubarb was in season and now that it was I had the chance to make it. The ingredient list for this recipe is a bit long but the cake comes together easily. The rhubarb crumb cake was really good! The cake was nice and soft and moist and the crumbs were light and sweet. Rhubarb is a bit tart and it perfectly balanced the sweetness of the crumb topping. I admit, I have been eating this cake for breakfast, along with the rhubarb fool. I have been enjoying the rhubarb so far this year and I look forward to using it some more.
Rhubarb Crumb Cake
- 1 pound rhubarb (trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Toss the rhubarb with the sugar, cornstarch and ginger to coat.
- Mix the sour cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Mix the flour, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the butter into the flour mixture.
- Mix the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture 1/3 at a time mixing in between.
- Pour all but 1/2 cup of the batter into a greased 8x8 inch baking dish followed by the rhubarb mixture and the remaining batter.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Break the topping into big crumbs with your hands and sprinkle onto the cake.
- Bake in a preheated 325F oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.