It had been a long time since I had last had pizza and I was craving it. A while ago I made some shrimp scampi and I remembered thinking that it would go well on pizza. My idea was that the sauce of the pizza would be the garlic and butter sauce of the shrimp scampi and of course some cheese would be required to top everything off. The shrimp scampi pizza was easy to make and tasted great! I really enjoyed having shrimp on a pizza. The garlic and butter sauce went well on the pizza and I did not miss the tomato sauce at all. I had planned on brightening the pizza up a bit with some fresh chopped parsley after it came out of the oven but I completely forgot.
Shrimp Scampi Pizza
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 pound shrimp (shelled and deveined)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pizza dough
- 1 cup mozzarella (grated)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped, optional)
- Heat the oil and melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the red chili pepper flakes and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp and saute until just cooked, about 1-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan.
- Add the wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- Simmer the liquid until reduced by about half, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the butter, wait for it to melt and turn off the heat.
- Pour the mixture onto the pizza crust, add the shrimp and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 550F oven until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and let cool.