It has been almost a year since I picked up an ice cream maker and I have been enjoying home made frozen treats since. So far I've made a few ice creams and a sorbet and I now wanted to try something different. I realized that I have not tried making one of my favorite frozen dishes, a frozen yogurt. I had to fix that immediately. Strawberries were the obvious choice since they are in season and looking so good. One of the things that I like most about making my own ice cream is the simplicity of the recipes. There are only a few ingredients and you can pronounce all of them. This recipe is a perfect example with only four simple ingredients. One thing that you may want to watch out for in this recipe is the sweetness. Plain yogurt can be a bit tart so you will want to test the mixture for sweetness before freezing it. The strawberry frozen yogurt was good! I really enjoyed the texture of the frozen yogurt and the strawberry flavour. Next time I think I will leave some bigger chunks of strawberries in.
Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
- 3 cups strawberries (sliced)
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups yogurt
- Heat the strawberries, lemon juice and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and mash the strawberries.
- Let cool then mix in the yogurt and test for sweetness.
- Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.