In my never ending search for tasty shrimp recipes I came across this recipe for Goong Maa Now or Thai lemon shrimp. Like many Thai dishes this one is a perfect melding of sweet, sour, hot and salty. This recipe calls for kaffir lime leaves which were a bit difficult to find. Luckily they keep really well in the freezer and the bag that I picked up has lasted a long time. This is another super quick shrimp dish that takes almost no time to make. The lemon and coconut milk added an amazing flavour and aroma and of course this dish would not be complete without my favorite herb, cilantro. These lemon shrimp could easily be served as an appetizer or as a meal along with some rice or pasta.
Thai Lemon Shrimp
Shrimp in a lemon-y sweet chili sauce that is just bursting with flavour!
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, sliced or 1 lime, zest
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce or to taste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Marinate the shrimp in the sweet chili sauce, lemon juice, lemon zest, kaffir lime leaves, chili sauce, fish sauce, garlic and sugar for 10 or more minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Add the shrimp along with the marinade and the coconut milk and simmer until the shrimp are cooked, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the cilantro.