I have been enjoying making rice pudding ever since I discovered it not too long ago. While the local strawberries were in season I knew that I would have to try a strawberry rice pudding. I was thinking about several different ways of making a strawberry rice pudding and decided to go with a simple plain white rice pudding with large pieces of fresh strawberries. Balsamic vinegar goes really well with strawberries and I thought that serving the strawberry rice pudding with a balsamic syrup on top would be nice. I also sprinkled some chopped pistachios on top to add some colour and a contrasting texture. Rice pudding is pretty easy to make and if your rice maker has a porridge setting it is even easier. The strawberry rice pudding with balsamic syrup was really good. The slightly tart balsamic syrup was a perfect compliment to the sweet strawberry pudding. I prefer to chill rice pudding in the fridge before eating it but sometimes I just can't wait; luckily it is good warm.
Strawberry Rice Pudding with Balsamic Syrup
- 1/4 cup rice (medium or short grained such as arborio)
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 handful strawberries (sliced)
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon pistachios (chopped)
- Bring the milk, rice, sugar and vanilla extract to a boil in a sauce pan.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the milk is mostly absorbed, about 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer the balsamic vinegar and honey in a small sauce pan to reduce to a syrup.
- Mix the strawberries into the rice and drizzle the balsamic syrup on top followed by the chopped pistachios.