I came across this recipe for a blueberry crisp with an amaretti cookie topping in Food & Drink magazine and knew that I would have to try it. The combination of almonds and blueberries sounded really good. The fresh local blueberries have been calling my name and this seemed like a great way to use them. The blueberry crisp was super easy to make and it turned out great! Hot blueberries sitting in a pool of melting vanilla ice cream is just so good! The almond flavours worked well with the blueberries and I really liked the texture that the amaretti cookies gave the topping. I will definitely be making this one again! I must confess that it was so good that I could not wait for dinner the next day and had some right out of the fridge for breakfast with some vanilla yogurt.
Blueberry Amaretti Crisp
- 6 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup amaretto
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup amaretti cookies (crushed)
- 1/4 cup almonds (sliced)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- Toss the blueberries with the cornstarch, sugar and amaretto.
- Mix the flour, amaretti cookies, almonds, brown sugar and butter in a large bowl.
- Place the blueberries into an 8x8 inch baking dish and pour the topping on.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until it is bubbling and the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.