I had been enjoying the fresh sweet corn straight off the cob all week and I was looking to change it up a bit. I also had some black beans that needed using and I thought that a corn and black bean quesadilla filled with melting cheese would hit the spot. It was sounding pretty much like a quesadilla filled with a corn and black bean salsa and some cheese so I decided to make a big bowl of corn and black bean salsa for the filling. I like quesadillas because they are simple, quick and tasty and these were no different. You really can't go wrong with the combination of sweet corn, creamy black beans with some chili heat and melted cheese toasted in tortillas! The corn and black salsa was also great by itself and it will likely disappear quickly.
Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas
- 2 tortillas
- 2 handfuls cheese such as cheddar or jack etc. (grated)
- 1/2 cup black bean salsa (see below)
- Melt a touch of butter in a pan.
- Place a tortilla into the pan.
- Cover the tortilla with the corn and black bean salsa and top with a handful of cheese and the other tortilla.
- Cook until the quesadilla is golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted.
Tip: Place a plate onto the quesadilla and flipped it from the pan to the plate and then slide it back into the pan to flip the quesadilla.
Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans (rinsed and drained canned beans or cooked from 1/3 cup dry beans)
- 1 jalapeno (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup green onions (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (chopped)
- Mix the corn, black beans, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, lime juice, green onions and cilantro in a large bowl.