Kimchi pajeon is a Korean kimchi pancake or pizza that is similar to the Japanese okonomiyaki . In its base form a pajeon is made with eggs, flour and green onions and from there you can add whatever you want. In this case the obvious next ingredient is the kimchi. Kimchi adds a ton of flavour to the pancakes and gives them a nice bit of heat. I really like the crunchy texture that the kimchi adds. Like most pancakes you are going to need some liquid that makes this the perfect way to use up any excess kimchi juice at the bottom of the container. With that you have the simple version of the kimchi pancake. I like to add some bacon as it goes really well with kimchi and when I am looking for something healthier I like to add grated zucchini, squash or sweet potatoes. Once you have the pancakes you can top them with various garnishes and/or serve them with dipping sauces. You can really do whatever you want.
Kimchi Pajeon (Kimchi Pancake or Pizza)
- 2 strips of bacon (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup kimchi liquid
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup kimchi (drained and chopped)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- Cook the bacon in a pan and set aside to cool retaining the grease.
- Mix the bacon, flour, water, kimchi liquid, egg, kimchi and green onions in a large bowl.
- Heat the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the batter and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- 1 tablespoon ssamjang
- 1/2 tablespoon gochujang
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Mix everything until smooth.