I have been pretty busy since I got back and I have not had a chance to do much in the way of cooking or even grocery shopping yet. It is a good thing that I was a bit behind in my posts before I left and I have some material to post while I get my act together and start some serious cooking again. I had just started exploring corn and one of the top things on my list to try was a corn and black bean tortilla pie that I had seen on Stephanie's Kitchen . I really like the sweet corn and creamy black bean combo and the spicy heat and savoury cheese makes this a dish that I just could not pass on. Although one of the things that caught my eye about this recipe was that ingredients were simmered in beer in the end I decided that using salsa verde would add more flavour and I went with that instead. It turned out that my spring form pan was just a bit too big for the tortillas but the pie held together well without the support of the pan. The corn and black bean (and lets not forget the chicken) tortilla pie turned out really good. It was a bit messy as the tortillas were soft and moist but it was oh so tasty!
Corn and Black Bean Tortilla Pie
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 jalapenos (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cobs worth of corn kernels
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- 4 green onions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)
- 4 flour tortillas (trimmed to fit in your spring form pan)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Saute the onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper until the onion has softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the beans and salsa verde and simmer until the liquid has evaporated, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the corn, chicken and green onions and remove from heat.
- Layer the tortillas, corn mixture and cheese in the spring form pan.
- Bake in a preheated 400F oven until the cheese is melted, about 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro and serve with sour cream and salsa.