This tomato tart made its way around the food blogging sphere not too long ago and while I did not get the chance to make it I did bookmark it. Now that the locally grown field tomatoes are looking nice and ripe it was the perfect time to make it. This tart is made with layered phyllo dough though you could easily use puff pastry dough. The tart is topped with some onions, mozzarella cheese and of course fresh tomatoes. Parmigiano reggiano is spread between the layers of phyllo dough for even more cheesy goodness. The tart is finished with a fresh herb and I went with some fresh thyme. I cut the size of the recipe down to half by folding or cutting the phyllo sheets in half. The phyllo tomato tarts were pretty easy to make. The phyllo dough came out nice and golden brown and crispy and buttery and good. The thinly sliced tomatoes on top roasted a bit concentrating their amazing flavour. The thyme added a really nice aroma to each bite of the tart.
3 sheets phyllo dough (thawed and cut in half lengthwise)
3 tablespoons butter (melted)
3 tablespoon parmigiano reggiano (grated)
1/2 cup red onion (thinly sliced)
1/2 cup mozzarella (grated)
2 tomatoes (thinly sliced)
1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease the parchment paper.
2. Lay a sheet of phyllo dough on the parchment paper and brush the top with butter.
3. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of the parmigiano reggiano on top.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with the rest of the phyllo dough.
5. Spread the onions slices on top followed by the mozzarella.
6. Place the sliced tomatoes on in a single layer.
7. Sprinkle the thyme on top along with the salt and pepper.
8. Bake in a preheated 375F oven until the phyllo dough is golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
Zucchini and Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Parmesan Tart
Asparagus and Gruyere Tart
Zucchini and Feta Ricotta Tart
Corn and Tomato Pie
Use leftover phyllo dough in:
Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
Mushroom and Feta Phyllo Pie
Kolokithopita (Greek Zucchini Pie)
Agginaropita (Greek Artichoke Pie)
Mushroom and Goat Cheese Strudel with Balsamic Syrup
Apple and Cheddar Quiche
Galaktoboureko (Greek Custard Pie)
Chicken and Date Pastilla
Asparagus and Walnut Phyllo Pie (aka Asparagus Baklava) with Avgolemono Sauce
Roasted Pumpkin Quiche with Caramelized Onions, Gorgonzola and Sage
Strawberry Goat Cheese Banitsa
Lamb Exohiko (Lamb, Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Phyllo Parcels)
Fiddlehead and Gruyere Tart