In fall when the weather starts cooling down, soups are once again on the menu and as far as soups go it is hard to beat the simplicity of a good old fashioned tomato soup. Luckily tomato soup is very easy to make at home from scratch so you can enjoy it whenever you want. As with many vegetables, roasting tomatoes concentrates their flavour and those tasty roasted tomatoes make some of the best tomato soup around. This soup is as easy to make as roasting all of the veggies, throwing them into a pot with some broth to simmer before pureeing. It is best to use fully ripe field tomatoes for maximum flavour but if they are not in season, do not worry as roasting those green house tomatoes will bring out their flavour nicely.
You can serve your tomato soup plain but it is always nice to garnish it with something like croutons , feta, blue cheese, a dollop of basil pesto or even sour cream. Of course no bowl of tomato soup is perfect with out a grilled cheese sandwich for dipping!
Roasted Tomato Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes Servings: 4
Roasting tomatoes brings out their flavour making this simple tomato soup oh so good!
- 2 pounds tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1 red pepper, cut in half and seeded
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 4 cloves garlic, whole and unpeeled
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, optional
- Place the tomatoes, red pepper, onions and garlic on a baking pan with the cut sides up.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil over everything and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in a 375F/190C preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Place everything but the cream into a sauce pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree with a hand blender to desired consistency and mix in the cream.